Monday, November 10, 2008

NaNoWriMo Day 10: Behind, but catching up

We are ten days into NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month).  To make 50,000 words by the end of the month, I should have written 16,670 words.  I woke up this morning with 900 words... but I also had three pretty good characters and an idea.

I got up early this morning and put in a couple of hours writing, and this evening I put in some more.  I've decided to structure my novel somewhat on the same lines as George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones and write each chapter from a differing character's viewpoint.  I like this because it avoids making the story too neatly lopsided to one character.

The storyline has gotten out of my hands and is firmly in my characters' wills now.  I was determined to make two of my characters hate each other but they seem to have fallen in love.  One of my incidental characters (a waiter) just pushed his way into a major supporting role.  And two of my characters just jumped in the sack together.

Anyway, my word count is at 5,561 now, so I did about three day's writing today.  And I'm pleased and proud and for the first time this month I think I can actually do this.   At this point, I must.  I actually am anxious to see how the story turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments blog posts over 14 days old. This keeps a lot of spam away. I generally am all right about moderating. Thanks for understanding.