Tuesday, April 14, 2009

New Song: I don't know if I love you (but I might)

This is about how I met Sònia. It's tough enough to tell someone you have a big crush on them, but it gets a lot more complicated when you don't really know how to speak their language. It seems to have worked; we've been married for almost nine years now.

This is one of the few Country and Western songs I've written. I never have owned up to it, but I like how clever the lyrics are in a lot of C&W songs (witness Barbara Mandrell's (sic) "Nobody"1 or even K.D. Lang's "Wash Me Clean"). I guess I still have a little Lumberton in me still.

You can listen to this in the player in the upper right hand corner of this site.

[1. NB: "Nobody" was performed by "Sylvia". Dang synapses.]

I don't know if I love you (but I might)

I came here to find you
But I don’t know who you are
I’ve been around this block before
Seeing the same tired faces
Wearing the same tired smiles
I know that here I won’t find you
No, here I won’t find you

I travelled to find you
But I don’t know just why
Don’t know the language
Don’t know the place
Don’t know the question that my heart’s been asking
But I know if there’s an answer
I’m hoping you know the answer

I don’t know,
But the moon is shining just as hard as it can shine
I don’t know
If your heart is breaking
But it’s surely breaking mine
And I don’t know if I can walk away
Without putting up a fight
I don’t know if I love you but I might

I’ve got to know you
But I don’t know where to start
My head is saying, “just walk away”
But if you could hear the words
That I’ve got here in my heart
I know that you’d know the answer
Yes, you are my answer

2 comments:

  1. FYI: "Nobody" was sung by Sylvia not Barbara Mandrell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! Yeah, ever since that short but meaningful fling I had with Barbara Madrell in the nineties I seem to see her everywhere.

    I'll fix it.

    ReplyDelete

I moderate comments blog posts over 14 days old. This keeps a lot of spam away. I generally am all right about moderating. Thanks for understanding.