This was a race for my kid's school. I was pretty happy with the time-- there was a killer hill right at the beginning of the course that really made me wish I had been training hills. But good. 7:13 miles.
One nice thing-- they did a health fair after the run and I got my cholesterol checked. Six months ago I had it checked and it was at 225. The nurse practitioner told me she would have to put me on medication to reduce my cholesterol if I couldn't get it down. Today I tested it and it was at 150. Really very good.
Here's how I did it:
- Oatmeal and fruit every morning
- Metamucil twice a day
- 1000 mgs of Flax Oil a day
- No eggs (I now eat egg beaters or eggs with no yolks)
- I read the label on everything and tried to keep my cholesterol and saturated fat as low as possible.
- I ran and lifted a lot. My mileage is between 25-40 miles a week and I was lifting vigorously a couple times a week.
Disclaimer: this is what worked for me, your results may vary, I'm a computer programmer, not a doctor, please don't sue me.