Monday, August 25, 2008

Vibram FiveFingers: Nice First Run!


Yesterday Afternoon I went out and bought a pair of Vibram FiveFingers. I reckoned on trying them out on Tuesday, as today I was set to just do some burpees. As it turns out, I finished those and had some time before I had to be anywhere, so I decided to go on a quick five minute jog just to see how they were.

They were so nice that I ended up going out for 25 minutes. I ran on the bike path in Rock Creek Parkway, across a couple of fields, through some rocky areas, etc. My feet felt fine-- the only time I was a little uncomfortable was when I ran over some rocks and a rock got me right in the arch. It was not a big deal.

Surprisingly, they felt just fine on pavement. This may be due to the fact that I ran in Nike Frees for most of the last couple of years. I've been trying to find some running shoes that would not protect my feet too much. I think that for a while there, shoes got progressively more and more protective. As a result, I think our feet have gotten dumber and dumber. They can no longer fend for themselves. So I got some running sandles (which were cool, but had a tendancy to get rocks in under my heel) then the Nike Frees (which were really great, no complaints).

What was different about the Vibram FiveFingers was having my toes separated out there. I found myself wiggling my toes between steps, spreading my toes way out. My little toe on my left foot got kind of tired, which is a good thing.

I don't think I'm going to run in them all the time. For one thing, Sonia just bought me some nice trail running shoes and she'll kill me if I don't use them. But I'm also a little nervous about hashing in them-- too many roots to run over. Also, it felt a little strange leaving the house in them at first. For some reason I felt exceptionally exposed running out the door in them. I got over it once I actually started running.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments blog posts over 14 days old. This keeps a lot of spam away. I generally am all right about moderating. Thanks for understanding.