Tuesday, June 19, 2007

5K Route through South Philly

I had to drop off some DVDs at BlockBuster tonight, so rather than give up our good parking space I decided to run it. As it turns out, the route is almost exactly 5K. I've saved the route to http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1063016. It's basically down South to 10th, 10th through Little Italy to Snyder, Snyder over to 12th, then 12th back to South.

I was surprised at the difference between 10th and 12th street. 10th street between South and Snyder is almost exclusively an old Italian neighborhood with some Hispanic folks and a smattering of students. 10th street was almost entirely African-American once I got north of Washington. Strange how neighborhoods sprout up like that.

It was a warm, humid night, and everyone, regardless of background, was sitting outside taking in the breeze. I'm pretty sure they thought I was crazy to be running. They're most likely right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments blog posts over 14 days old. This keeps a lot of spam away. I generally am all right about moderating. Thanks for understanding.